Body scrubs are just great! They work by removing old layers of dead skin, leaving you with fresh, glowing and healthy skin. This process is known as exfoliating.
Additionally, they detoxify the body, help to fight cellulite and stimulate the circulation of blood and lymph. Exfoliating is crucial if you are battling acne. Using a body scrub before other skin treatments open up the pores and makes it easier for other products to work more effectively.
The good news is that nature has blessed us with a vast array of organic and healthy ingredients such as essential oils, base oils, sugars, salts and oats to make our own natural scrubs; therefore, we need not resort to commercial body scrubs that contain dangerous chemicals which can damage the skin in the long run.
There are two major types of body scrubs: salt and sugar. Salt will sting if you have scratches or rashes. Sugar scrubs are gentler on the skin and also non-stinging so they are ideal for sensitive or irritated skin.
Body Scrubs – Dos And Don’ts
- Do not use body scrubs on sunburned, damaged or broken skin.
- Do not use on genitals.
- Do not allow water to get in your scrubs as it will cause the growth of mold. Store in air-tight jars in a cool, dry place.
- Do not use glass containers in the bathroom so they don’t slip and break, use plastic containers instead.
- Discard scrubs with rancid smells or visible signs of molds.
- Use body scrubs (exfoliate) twice a week.
Basic Sugar Scrub
2 cups organic white sugar
1 cup carrier oil of choice
2-3 drops essential oil of choice
Citrus Coffee Scrub
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup coffee grounds
1-3 drops orange essential oil
1-3 drops lemon essential oil
½ cup coconut sugar
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly.
2. Keep at room temperature, use and store the leftover in a mason jar.
Spicy Sugar Scrub
1 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup sesame oil
1 tsp rose essential oil
2 tsp grated orange zest
1. Mix all ingredients well.
2. Transfer the now gritty paste to an airtight container using a spoon.
3. Label, date and store in a cool place.
4. Use scrub within 3 months.
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Coconut oil
1 teaspoon peppermint essential oil
1 teaspoon Rosemary essential oil
1. Combine all the ingredients so it forms a paste.
2. Use a spoon to transfer mixture to an airtight jar.
3. Label jar, date and store it in a cool and place.
Magnesium Winter Scrub
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- ¼ cup almond oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp liquid castile soap
- 10-15 drops peppermint and citrus essential oils
Epsom salts kelps to purify and beautify the skin, making it look beautiful, youthful
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. Add essential oils until the desired fragrance is achieved.
3. Store in an airtight jar.
4. Use a teaspoon-sized amount to exfoliate body as needed.
5. Rinse after use. Use within 3 months.